Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Relishing in the Day- to -Day!


This summer I have found so much beauty  in the ordinary. A great example is a day I had last week that was nothing short of perfection in my mind, even though there wasn't really anything overly special about it.  There was nothing on the calendar that particular day. No play-dates, no library visit, no parks, shopping or trip to the zoo. In fact Jordan had to take our only car to work so we didn't even have a mode of transportation. It was just a regular stay-at-home day with nothing planned. We passed the morning getting things tidied up and then I announced that we should get ready and head over to the community pool. I smiled at my kids as they ran around  the house like lunatics gathering up their swimming suits and towels excited about the prospect of spending a day  swimming. My kids love to swim, especially Skyler who is learning how this summer and can't get enough of my endless words of delight as he swims out to me just a little bit further each time.

As we entered the pool we saw that we would have the pool to ourselves, which means no life guards to tell them NO JUMPING in the pool. Plus, Thais is pretty tickled with herself that she can do a pretty mean swan dive... but  diving isn't allowed either (except when you are alone). The kids found some pool toys that had been left behind and we spent two blissful hours playing and laughing and beating Michigan's sticky summer heat. When Gracie started showing signs of needing a nap we gathered up our things with no complaints or whining about having to and make the three minute walk to our apartment. We each put our flip flops on and while walking home we soon noticed that we all made a  Quack Quack sound from our wet feet rubbing against our rubbery flip flops. Thaisy started to laugh and said, "we sound like ducks mom!"  I laughed and called them my cute little duckies as we walked single file, flip flops squeaking, along the side of the road. It sounds so simple but my heart just kind of yearned to freeze time and keep those little duckies forever by my side.

Lunch, naps and reading time with Thais went smoothly without a hitch. Thaisy's reading is going so well and I love the accomplished look in her face when she figures out new words. She is learning for herself that she is smart, and capable and can work through hard  things. Then, an hour before Jordan got home I text him to meet us back over at the pool when he got off work. To our delight he got off early and we spent another couple of hours playing in the pool as a family. At one point while watching my family, I had  Gracie in my arms and she was doing what I call her "monkey hold" where she lays her head on my shoulder and has her arms wrapped tight around me. I seriously can't think of anything better than having your baby snuggle you. Tears just sort of spontaneously sprang to my eyes and I had this moment of pure gratitude for the sweet simplicity of that moment. 

It's not all perfect, but I am really feeling the need to slow down each day and simply breathe and take in the good that is all around me. Jordan and I truly feel that this stage in our young family will always be a sacred revered time in our lives. Below are just a few of the day to day things I don't want to forget. Just some tiny things that made my heart swell because I was relishing that moment in my day:


            Feeding my kids asparagus for dinner because Daddy was working late and mommy is on a diet.

                       Taking the kids to the Detroit temple and letting them touch the temple.
Watching Thais cuddle with  her little sister
          Thais and Skyler becoming best friends this summer (even though that includes lots of teasing and fighting). They only have each other out here so every waking minute is spent together and I love that. To say that Skyler adores his sister is an understatement. She is the epitome of cool  in his mind. In fact, he has even told her that he doesn't like a little "crush" of Thaisy's because that means she will want to marry him and Skyler wants to be the one to marry Thais. Someday he will hate that story, but I love that he just wants his sister in his life forever!
                                                       Bath time!
                                                   Thais and Skyler feeling so cool with their new shades
                                       Admiring what a handsome boy I made.

                                           Going to the Metro beach with friends every Wednesday


                                                      Watching my baby grow...

                                                                          Splash parks!


                                                               It's a good life!

3 comments:

  1. Adorable pictures!! I totally remember the moments where I just wished I could freeze time! The best is that you love it now not just as you look back! Loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. And now my heart just grew some more as I am reminded why I love you so much! Miss you, friend! Love your family.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Skyler looks so old and so handsome! I love all the pics of your darling kids and the reminder to enjoy each moment right now!

    ReplyDelete