Thursday, July 26, 2012

Detroit's Eastern Market

A couple of weeks ago we decided to go to one of Detroit's famous farmers market called the Eastern Markets. It has been around since the late 1800's. I was in heaven looking over all of the open-air-stalls with local fruits, veggies, plants, jellies, and farm fresh eggs and meats. I have been changing my eating habits a bit after reading Dr. Joel Fuhrman's book Eat To Live, and the lifestyle requires you to drastically increase the  amount of fresh fruits and veggies you eat each day so we loaded up on tons of  delicious produce. We got artichokes, corn, kale, beets, cucumbers, tomatoes, cantaloupe, nectarines, asparagus, grapes and cherries just to name a few. I love watching my kids devour fresh artichokes for dinner, or snacking on cucumbers and carrots. It is also a lot cheaper to eat this way. We got bags and bags of produce for a lot less then when I buys all of my snacks at Costco. 


A little family shot in front of the market.


The website said that on a given Saturday there are about 40,000 people that come and shop the market

I love the idea of buying local produce!!



Some fun things for the kids to do.



I just love snapping pictures of this girl! 


The kids loved all of the free samples :)


I just loved that this local baker was rockin' the hat and everything. 


At the end of the market we listened to this local artist for a while. He was GOOD! He reminded me of Ben Harper..

We needed some bread so we thought we would check out a local bakery. They had huge thick loaves of homemade bread for 1.75 a loaf. 

Of course, there were a few other things besides bread that caught our interest.
We let the kids each pick out a treat.




This is me showing that I can be strong and resist a chocolate eclair that was calling my name! 



One of the farmers gave me a green tomato to try. I have always been curious about what a fried green tomato tastes like after seeing the movie


They were pretty darn good I have so say. Although, isn't anything good fried?!? 


2 comments:

  1. Man, I am SO unbelievably jealous! And look at you..one hot momma!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want to be there shopping all that produce with you soooo badly!!!

    ReplyDelete